Friday, July 10

FT Island's Interview With OMY

Note: UW stands for U-Weekly in the following interview.

UW: Everyone calls FT Island the 'flower boys rock band'. Do you dislike this title?
Jaejin: No, we're happy to hear the term 'flower boys'. If you have a chance to come and watch our performance, you will be attracted by our music and not simply call us 'flower boys'.
Seunghyun: The title sounds nice. But we prefer to hear comments like 'a rock band with high music standards'.
Jonghoon: We prefer to receive compliments on our music.
Hongki: Yes. I think so too.

UW: Who do you think is the best representative of the title 'flower boy' in the group? (Anyone disagrees?)
Ans: Hongki! (4 members replied.)
Jaejin: No one can challenge his popularity. Looking at the presents he received from fans and all other factors, we can't challenge him in terms of popularity. He is the most popular member in the group, and also the most priced member. He's good-looking and can also sing very well. We have to admit that..

UW: Do you compare among yourselves who is the most handsome member in the group?
Ans: Jonghoon! (4 members replied.)
Jaejin: Hongki is pretty, the flower boy type. Jonghoon is handsome.

UW: If you were given a chance to talk about your best looking moment, special traits or looks?
Jaejin: I think I look good when I look at myself in the mirror right after a shower. I like my eyes and lips especially.
Seunghyun: I like my eyes and chin. (Reporter: I think his dimples are charming.)
Jonghoon: I find myself sexy while playing the guitar. I like my nose and mouth.
Hongki: I think I look good when I was slightly skinnier, singing on stage till I sweat. I like my forehead and also my side profile.

UW: Who is the 100% 'Rocker' in the group?
Hongki: Every one of us have a 'Rocker' feel. All of us can perform in a 'Rocker' style.

UW: Who nags a lot usually? Or likes to dominate?
Jonghoon, Hongki & Seunghyun: Jaejin!
Jonghoon: I think he cares about us.

UW: Is there any changes to the way you work with each other (especially since new member, Song Seunghyun, replaces Oh Wonbin in April this year)? Can Seunghyun talk about how he adapts to the group within such a short period of time?
Seunghyun: I often bumped into the members at the studio before I joined the group, as I was a trainee from the same management company. So there wasn't really a feeling of being new. I'm in charge of the vocals, especially the rap in the band. Everyone treats me well so there's not much of a problem.
Other 3 members: We don't feel that he's a new member. It feels as if he debuted together with us in 2007.

UW: What was your first impression of Seunghyun?
Jonghoon, Hongki & Jaejin: We guessed that he is a positive person and he really was.

UW: Within 2 months after your debut in 2007, you have close to 100,000 fans & supporters? Were you amazed by the figures?
Ans: That was during the filming of a 'reality show' and we had to 'attract 100,000 supporters in order to get a chance to perform'. We didn't expect that we would succeed in obtaining the figures and were very touched.

UW: What was your biggest gain after debuting?
Jonghoon, Hongki & Jaejin: When we first debuted, we were really shy standing on stage and couldn't get used to facing the crowd during performances. But we're all used to it now and we've improved a lot in terms of stage presence during concerts and other performances.

UW: What was the most difficult experience you had before and after debut?
Hongki: I started out as a child actor and didn't really experience the feel of 'debuting'. After joining the group, all of us stay together at the same place. It's the first time we stay apart from our parents, relying on ourselves for everything. This was one difficult experience. After debuting, social interaction is difficult and we realised that we couldn't trust anyone easily.
Seunghyun: I was a trainee for one and a half years before debuting. I felt stressed when my singing skills made no improvement. Some people have been trainees for many years so I think I'm lucky.
Jaejin: I wasn't very tired during my two years as a trainee before debut.

UW: All of you are so young. How do you assure yourself to stay firm when dealing with fame, popularity and wealth?
Seunghyun: Exercising. It helps mentally.
Jaejin: To stay silent is the best way to relieve stress.
Hongki: To reflect on ourselves.

UW: There are many idol boy bands in the Korean music industry right now. What do you think is your unique point and how are you different from the other groups?
Hongki: We don't dance. We know how to compose and we can play the instruments. That is our special point.
Jaejin: Yes. That is the biggest difference. Other groups sing what people compose for them and they do not play the instruments themselves. But we compose, perform and sing the songs ourselves.

UW: Others said that they see hope for the development of the Rock & Roll industry in Korea after your successful debut. Do you think so too?
Hongki: Hmm.. That's too exaggerating. Are there people who really said that? Hopefully there will be more bands like us in future.

UW: How do you feel about the promotion of your 2nd Japanese single 'I believe myself' in Japan in April this year?
Jonghoon: The response from the Japanese fans were very good. Tickets were all sold out. We are always touched by the response from our Japanese fans.

UW: Can you talk about the 'Live Concert Rock Prince (Live Album)' DVD that was released in May?
Jaejin: We used 'Rock Prince' as our theme and held concert tours in the country. This is the concert DVD recorded then. We even danced a little during the concerts to show the audience a different side of us. Oh yes, that DVD is a recording of the Seoul concert so there won't be any dance footage. Ha! Too bad.

UW: Can you talk about your own music aspirations? Ever wanted to try acting? (Choi Minhwan had a filming schedule for KBS drama 'Road Home'; and was not able to join in this interview.)
Hongki: I debuted as a child actor. I acted in several dramas when I was younger. I was a very popular child actor then! Hopefully there will be more chances of acting in future.
Jaejin: I just finished the musical 'Sonagi' in Seoul in May. Now preparing for the Busan ones. I've acted in a sitcom before. Of course, music is still the most important to us, though we would like to try out acting as well.
Jonghoon: I want to try out both singing and acting too.
Seunghyun: I want to try out things which I've not done before. My childhood ambition was to be a movie star. As long as it doesn't affect my music career, I wouldn't mind trying.

Source: omy.sg
Translated by ying_1005 @ soompi

No comments: